Google
 

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

 

Sugar Ain't So Sweet

My aunt's cat came to live with me when it became obvious she was pregnant again. Sugar is a faded tortoiseshell who was extremely wary of people. After the kittens were born and weaned, she immediately went into season. During this time, she was very affectionate, coming to me for attention.

Sugar had appeared on my aunt's farm less than a year ago. I assumed she was a young cat. I could not tell for sure because Sugar would not let me pick her up. I made an appointment for her to be spayed. When I took her in, I told the receptionist what little I knew of her history. I was assured that they would do a complete exam and give me an estimate of her age.

When I picked her up late that day, I was in for a surprise. Sugar was not a young cat. My vet estimated that she was at least eight years old. That changed my plan for her. Originally, I had planned to return her to the farm, even though, my aunt had moved into the city. A neighbor of my aunt's had agreed to feed and water Sugar as well as the other farm cats. Now, I knew she was not so young. I decided to let her stay with me as an indoor cat. I would try to find a home, but I knew a cat her age would probably stay with me.

Sugar's affectionate nature vanished with her spaying. She has become the terror of her part of the house. She wants nothing to do with me unless I have food. She barely tolerates my touch. She swats any of her offspring that draw close to her and attacks the other two, older females that share her quarters. Teegar, a large, black, male cat had the audacity to try to enter her part of the house. Sugar drove him back with an all out attack that sent all the cats into hiding. Sugar is no longer sweet.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Too bad about Sugar -- but we cats do rule! I’d like to tell you that I’ve written a scathingly funny book, The World Is Your Litter Box, which will be out May 6th. The book is cleverly disguised as a cute cat book so humans will buy it, but is, in fact, a how-to manual FOR cats. Check it out on my website, www.theworldisyourlitterbox.com.
 
Give it some time...and lots of love. Who knows maybe one of these days Sugar will come around.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?