Google
 

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

 

Shack Goes Out

Shackleton, a small, neutered male cat, is an orange tabby with white highlights. His feet, muzzle, and tummy are white while his eyes are yellow-gold. He has lived with me since he was ten days old.


With spring, his goal is to be outside. He loves to bolt out the door whenever I open it whether I want him out or not. Most of the time I block his nefarious exit, but not every time.


I do not want him outside because he does not see well. He had vision problems when he came to live with us. His vision has improved, but he does not have the visual acuity of a normal cat. This is especially noticeable when he ventures across the street. He simply does not see the traffic. I have had more than one heart stopping moment. Nevertheless, I know that he will get out. I just want to control when.


Last week, he and I had a particularly difficult day. I was busy and did not want to worry about the adventuring of my little orange cat. I blocked Shackleton's exit each time. He was obviously annoyed and took his annoyance out on his house mates. Finally, I told him that once I finished my current project I would go out with him. He seemed to understand and settled down for a nap.


I finished my work and began another task. I had forgotten my promise. There was a tap on my leg. I looked down. There was Shack. He tapped my leg again with his front paw, then walked to the front door. I remembered my promise, just as he had. We went outside together.


I had never had a cat ask for attention like that. Shack is unique.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?