Google
 

Sunday, March 16, 2008

 

Dos Tries to Walk on Water

Dos was a large, orange tabby that came to us as an adult cat. He would sit on the steps leading to the swimming pool so that only his head was above the level of the pool deck and watch us swim. I would talk to him whenever I noticed him. In time, he came around when no one was in the pool. Finally, he accepted our friendship.

Checking around the neighborhood, I learned that he was the offspring of a feral female and had no home. We adopted him and made him part of the family which meant neutering and all shots. He adjusted to everything but being in at night. Until he was much older, he did not willingly come in at night.

One late afternoon in the fall, I began my cat round-up. The wind had been blowing hard all day and for some reason the pool pump was off, so the pool surface was completely covered in oak and elm leaves. If you did not know that the pool was full of water, you would think that this was just a leaf strewn lawn.

The cats came in, all but Dos. I went looking for him. He was sitting on the pool deck. As I approached, he sauntered away. He could easily leave the yard by jumping off the deck onto the drive way if he continued on the same path, but he stopped. He seemed to be studying the pool which was fourteen feet wide and twenty-eight feet long. Did he think that we had filled it in and covered it with leaves?

I don't know. Maybe Dos thought he could leap fourteen feet. He looked over his shoulder at me. I had long since stopped, no longer pursuing him. He looked back at the pool, then started down the deck at trot. As he hit top speed, he turned and launched himself across the pool. For a moment, I thought he would make it. He missed by a little over a foot.

There was a tremendous splash, and Dos completely disappeared under water. Then he bobbed to the surface, paddling. I called to him from the steps out of the pool. He ignored me and swam to the nearest side. He made a lunge and got the upper part of his body out of the pool, then pulled the rest of his body out. He shook himself. I called but he headed toward the front of the house.

I hurried back into the house, through the kitchen, dining room, and living room to open the front door. Sure enough, a very wet, orange cat came in the front door. I scooped him up and headed to the bathroom. Soon, I had him toweled dry and content to settle down for the night.

As far as I know, Dos is the only one of my cats that ever tried to leap across the pool. Maybe he was just trying to walk on water.

Labels: , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?