Google
 

Friday, February 01, 2008

 

Gamma and the Pigeons


Gamma, my gray cat with white feet and white chest, goes out every morning along with Wellington, my gray tabby with white. They race to see who will be the first down the front steps. Wellington usually wins even though he is older and heavier. They then patrol the front yard to determine who has dared to visit over night. My neighbors up the street have a white cat named Sydney who only dares visit when Gamma and Wellington are indoors at night. As far as I can tell Sydney is never allowed inside which makes me sad. There is also the yellow tom who is claimed by another neighbor, but seems to roam widely.

While the boys check out the yard, I feed the pigeons in the alley. I throw out seed and a flock of twenty or so descend immediately. This week the pigeons have been absent some days because a falcon has been cruising the area. Gamma has been very disappointed because he loves the pigeons. Actually, he loves to eat the pigeons. He has never managed to catch one of the flock in the morning, but stragglers later in the day seem to fall prey to him all too often. I sometimes manage a rescue, but too often Gamma disappears with his victim.

Gamma and I often have discussions in the morning as the pigeons eat. "These are my pigeons, Gamma. Do not try to catch them," I say. He looks at me with his yellow eyes and seems to agree that these birds are only for looking, not eating. I tell him to come back inside for breakfast, and he dutifully follows me into the house. Except when he has a pigeon in his mouth, he is very obedient.
After breakfast, he goes out again and begins to plot a pigeon's demise. Luckily, he is seldom successful. There does seem to be an endless supply of pigeons on Karnak Street since the flock never grows smaller. As always, I plan to discuss pigeons with Gamma tomorrow.

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments:
It kinda sounds like Sydney could use a little better home. Are you in a position to "accidentally" kidnap and rehome him/her? Alternatively, do you know Sydney's owners well enough to make some suggestions on kittie care?

In any event, we all hope Sydney at least has some shelter from the elements and wandering critters.
 
Two different neighbors have unofficially adopted Sydney. (One of his owners is unapproachable; the other is in love with Mr. No Cats in the House.) Sydney has a cozy corner in one neighbor's garage, and a beauty salon owner also looks after him. We are far enough into the city not to have coyotes. It seldom goes below freezing either.
January Cat
 
You would be surprised where coyotes show up. But at least Sydney has some beans caring for him, which is good.

We wonder how long it would take Sydney's owners to miss him. (if he got locked in a garage somewhere, say)
 
I fear his owners would not notice for a day or two, but his unofficial owners would. I suspect the beauty salon owner will take him home one of these days.
Coyotes do go far into cities. We had some in the western part of this city, but none have ever made it here. We do have raccoons and opossums that enjoy cat food.
 
Well, from the sound of things, everyone would be better off, and probably happier, if someone else took Sydney home. We only hope it happens sooner, rather than later.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?